Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why all this writing?

How come everyone writes nowadays? I mean, I am writing a blog! My friend – let’s call him ‘White Boy’- says I am the most technology unsavvy person! And even I have a blog.

So what is this new found obsession to write or should I say “express”? Someone (who I don’t particularly like) once said, that people write blogs because they want attention and want to be “sexy. Really? Since when did writing become sexy? It’s one of the most mundane and ancient activities.

I think people write to share things they can’t always talk about. So that brings me to, why the need to share? It’s because only when it’s shared, it becomes real.

If something happens to me- good, bad, funny, silly, sad, touching- it only appears real when I tell someone about it. At least one person. If I can’t do that, then that experience does not seem real. Like it never happened. Weird? Probably, but that is my reasoning on at least why I am writing.

Other people probably write for other reasons- they actually have something meaningful to say (or think they do), are professionals e.g. authors, poets (I so admire authors! Sexiest profession per me, second only to architects- involves building: so masculine, and creativity: so inspirational- what could be sexier? But hey, I digress).

Other people who write probably prefer it to talking, so they write as a way to communicate. While some others write to simply brag.

I do wish however more people would read- not my blog- just in general...people should read more than they write and not the other way round. I don’t think myself as a judgemental person (but then who does, right?). But I REALLY am not one. Except for people who don’t read books. I judge them. I find them boring, shallow and dull.

So if you want to be (or at least appear to be) interesting and thus sexy, go pick up a book. Ideally something from the classics. And no, Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code is not a classic.

P.S. read my other posts below before judging my writing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment