Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm a Barbie girl, in the real world

My name is Seema and I am a Barbie-holic. I adore Barbie dolls. They represent all things beautiful and pretty. A smiling face, a fab bod, gorgeous clothes, shiny hair, awesome accessories- what's not to like?

Though I do have the "deprived child syndrome" as I never had Barbie dolls growing up.
:( And after a certain age buying Barbies is kinda freaky and weird. So I do the next best thing- I buy Barbies for my nieces, friends daughters, etc. (My only regret about Sanil- can't play Barbies with him).

So today when I saw a "LBD (Little Black Dress for the uninformed) Barbie"- I was so tempted. But then I looked at the price tag of S$50. I'd rather put that to my LBD fund and buy myself a sexy LBD (and yes, even if it's a LBD Barbie, it's very freaky for a grown up woman to buy one).



Check this one out: the neckline reaches the navel! And some cleavage show there! But am sure it's a true representation- as I know girls who dress like that. Really. And no, for the guys reading this- you cannot get her number.

And don't miss the political correctness wrt race- all skin and hair color options available.


There were some 8 different ones- each sporting a different LBD.









This one is my favorite- a nice one-shoulder chic LBD. Not the tacky-yes-my-boobs-are-for-all-to-see dress. And she has the sweet-girl-next-door-but-can-be-fun look (don't ask how I can get all that from a plastic face- but that's how I think she is). And don't miss the heels. Nice!

The one behind has the "librarian-by-day-dominatrix-by-night" look complete with a China-doll fringe!







So there, my secret is out. I am a Barbie girl..... but in a real world. That means....

- No waist size of 23
- No never ending legs
- No glossy shampoo-ad hair
- No SJP-like wardrobe (Sarah Jessica Parker for the uninformed)
- No choice of 80 careers (Barbie till date has had every possible career from a rock star to a paleontologist to a presidential candidate*. Here's to woman power!)
- No pet horse (don't ask where that came from)
- And no Ken. Sigh! (though if Ken were a real person, he would be a himbo no? (Himbo= the male version of a bimbo, whore, or slut. Again for the uninformed. Its the urbandictionary definition, not mine)

*Barbie fun facts: http://collectdolls.about.com/library/blbarbiefacts.htm. My favorite one: Barbie doll has had more than a billion pair of shoes and over one hundred new additions to her wardrobe annually. Barbie world- I want to go to there!

1 comment:

  1. ha ha ha .. this is cute ...Btw just thinking Barbie has got to hep ..wasnt a doll suppose to be a symbol of innocense ...GHOR KALUG ;) Imagine our great great grand mothers twisting & turning in their graves hearning abt the barbie neck lines leave alone seeing them. he he he
    @ I loved ur defination of HIMBO ...ha ha ha .. That was original ;)
    Good fun reading this post ;)

    Cheers !
    Payal

    ReplyDelete