Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I HATE GOODBYES

My worst one was when I was leaving Bombay to come to Singapore. This was over a decade ago but I still remember it vividly. The one specific moment when my friends were discussing plans for the next weekend and I blurted out “But I won’t be there!” And they gave me the look “err yes, you kinda won’t be in the country?” It’s right then that it struck me! Life would go one without me. My friends and cousins would still make plans, go out for movies, meet for drinks, do brunches and generally hang out- only I won’t be there!


It felt awful! I detest Goodbyes (‘detest’ has a more forceful ring to it than ‘hate’)

When I moved to Singapore, I found out that the good-byes never end. Even if you stay put- as I have for 12 years out of which 8 years have been in Tanjong Rhu- others do move. And it does not matter that you are not leaving, you still need to say good-bye.

Last night I had to say another Good-bye- it was one of the toughest ones in Singapore. As I was saying good-bye to not only a fab friend, but a lovely person too. And she has grown to be much more than a friend to not only me, but also to Sanil.

I once read somewhere that God sends people in our life for a SEASON or a REASON. And once that season is over, or that reason is completed, they leave. As their work is now done.

Archana came into my life as both. A season of spring- as I met her right after I had passed through one of the worst and darkest winters of my life. And for a reason- to show me the frivolous and positive side of life again.

Now when I look back, I realize I don’t have to look back too long. I’ve known her only for a year and half. That’s all! But it seems like a lifetime of memories.

Last night when we walked back from a Stadium Waterfront- a walk that we have taken umpteenth times before- its felt just the same. But when it ended and we parted ways, I had to accept. It’s NOT the same! It was our last walk together and we won’t be seeing each other anytime soon.

My eyes welled up and heart was heavy. A person that you are used to seeing at least once a week if not every other day, and you know that you won’t be seeing them for at least many months to come- it hits rather hard! And I had to say it-as much as I detested it- good-bye.

I wish her all the very best. Would I be happier if she were not moving? Yes of course! But I am happy for her? Yes of course too! Archana may you receive all that you seek and happiness be yours now and forever. I shall miss you tons!

A walk down the proverbial memory lane of our good times:


- Watching “Oye Lucky” and being the 2 people who laughed the loudest in the cinema

- Sending back ‘sherbet-like’ cocktails

- But drinking all of the potent ones

- Wine evenings (is this getting too alcohol skewed? Have to list down some others too)

- Chatting about everything from kids to Indian economy, Hinduism to Hindi movies, Kashmir issue to Kareena movies

- The evening walks by the Tanjong Rhu Bay

- The Tuesdays visits to the ‘magic temple’

- The “high” notes followed by jumping in the pool (with clothes on)

- The cake fight

- The Clarke Quay surreal night ;)

- The birthdays, Christmas, Halloween and various other parties in between

I feel blessed to have had you in my life. You ground me, while letting me fly. You let me dream but with a reality check (though I still believe that Farhan Akhtar is perfect for me). And you make it all seem effortless.

Simply put it- You just make life MORE FUNNER!

And not to mention that Sanil has full faith in you protecting me from any “bad guys” out there. Guess I need a new bodyguard now ;)

As I mentioned innumerable times in this post, I hate Good-byes. So I won’t say it. Will say ‘Au Revoir’ instead. Always loved the French term for Good-bye- Au Revoir - which translates as “Until I see you again”.


Love See(mahi)

No comments:

Post a Comment